College Students: Warnings about the Higher One Card

We support reforms to the financial marketplace that protect consumers from unscrupulous banks and lenders.

By Consumers Union on Friday, September 10th, 2010

Campuses across the nation have been adopting the Higher One card for their students. While these cards may be providing cost savings to college institutions, students are finding huge problems. One of the biggest complaints: students are finding they may be laden with fees. For instance, the inactivity fee is $19 a month, to use a non-network ATM is $2.50 and to use the card as a PIN debit transaction, it’s $0.50 a pop.

Just what is the Higher One card?

According to a recent article in The Oregonian::

“This official student photo ID is branded with the MasterCard logo. It can double as a debit card. Students can have their financial-aid refunds — the money leftover after the school deducts its tuition and fees — automatically deposited into a bank account linked to the card. They can then tap the money at an ATM or wherever a merchant takes MasterCard.

The company behind these cards, Higher One Inc., has integrated them across hundreds of college campuses”

Meanwhile, here are some numbers to show who is benefiting from these fees:

“These fees obviously sustain Higher One. Last year, it took in $66 million on merchant swipe fees, ATM fees, overdraft fees and student “convenience fees,” the company says. It did so well last year, the company handed out $1 million in bonuses to employees. In June, it raised $38 million in a public stock offering on Wall Street.”

If you have a HigherOne card, consider yourself warned—watch out for the fees you might be paying to use your money. Consider other alternatives to use your money, such as a traditional debit card from a bank or credit union.

For additional advice for college students, click here and here.

27 responses to “College Students: Warnings about the Higher One Card”

1. coco wolf says:

Hi, My name is coco lauren wolf from the united states and i want to share my experience with everyone. I have being hearing about this blank ATM card for a while and i never really paid any interest to it because of my doubts and due to the fact that i lost alot of money to online scam. Until one day i discovered an hacker called mason hardman. he is really good at what he does.so I inquired about The Blank ATM Card. If it works or even Existed, He told me yes and that its a card programmed for random money withdraws without being noticed and can also be used for free online purchases of any kind. This was shocking and i still had my doubts. Then i gave it a try and asked for the card and agreed to his terms and conditions. Hoping and praying it was not a scam. four days later i received my card and tried it with the closest ATM machine close to me, It worked like magic. I was able to withdraw up to $3000USD. This was unbelievable and the happiest day of my life. So far i have being able to withdraw up to $28000USD without any stress of being caught and the wonderful part is that the credit limit is over a 100,000USD. i also wanted to confirm if i could use it anywhere in the world so i traveled to 6 different countries and it worked perfectly well. I don’t know why i am posting this here, i just felt this might help those of us in need of financial stability. blank Atm has really changed my life and it can change yours too. It is 100% safe to use this card. Because it will be shipped to you as a gift card.
    He can also reload any Active and valid cards, any type of card just contact him for a reload (prepaid cards, credit/debit cards).

CONTACT HIM VIA EMAIL: hacked_legit_blankatm@outlook.com
    CONTACT NUMBER: +2348158827165

2. Monica Scotty says:

I got my already programmed blanked ATM card to withdraw the maximum of $50,000 daily for a maximum of 20 days. I am so

happy about this because i got mine last week and I have used it to get $100,000. MR PEDRO is giving out the card just to

help the poor and needy though it is illegal but it is something nice and he is not like other scam pretending to have the

blank ATM cards. And no one gets caught when using the card. get yours TODAY. Just send him an email
    via martinshackers22@gmail.com

3. mccart says:

HACK ATM AND BECOME RICH TODAY
    How to hack an ATM MACHINE or BANK ACCOUNT
    You can hack and break into a bank’s security ATM Machine without carrying guns or any weapon.How is this possible? First of all we have to learn about the manual hacking of ATM MACHINES and BANKING ACCOUNTS HOW THE ATM MACHINE WORKS. If you have been to the bank you find out that the money in the ATM MACHINE is being filled right inside the house where the machine is built with enough security.to hack this machine We have develop the special blank ATM Card which you can use in any ATM Machine around the world. this card is been programmed and can withdraw 2000 USD within 24 hours in any currency your country make use of. The card will make the security camera malfunction at that particular time until you are done with the transaction you can never be trace. getting the card you will forward the company your address details so we can proceed to send the card to you once you agree to the terms and conditions. you can contact us on email now atmmachinehackes@gmail.com

4. mccart says:

hi there

5. Dee says:

I’m still a student and they’re charging me $3.95 a month in fees. (Which, according to THEIR fee schedule should be $0 because I’m still a student.) My account had me listed with a graduation date of May 2016. I’m not graduating until next year so when I logged in, I changed it to May 2017. That’s when I noticed “Hey, what’s that?” and realized they’ve been charging me the $3.95/month “non student fee” for MONTHS! I called to complain, was told they’d reverse the charges. Got an email saying they wouldn’t. I”ve now spoken to two “customer service” people in India who are telling me it’s MY FAULT they’re charging me because I didn’t keep logging in and telling them I’m still a student. Since the graduation date they had on file hadn’t passed, wouldn’t a rational human being think that they KNOW I’m still a student? I’ve now been on hold for twenty minutes to wait for a manager to talk to me.

6. CDUFFEY says:

I began working at a job in early February, after a few rough patches we finally (my HR rep and I) got my direct deposit set up. All was right with the world. Unicorns, rainbows, all that bs. Then payday comes around, everyone else has money in their accounts. I spent an hour on the phone with customer service, and although the young lady was very lovely she didn’t help me with squat! My problem: I’ve gone to two different schools and gotten a HigherOne account at both, when i was at my last job I only had the one, now I have two that seem to have merged. Same routing number, same account number, same ZERO balance where my direct deposit should be. I’m switching banks, because I don’t need the added stress of my bank maybe deciding to give me the money I have worked for and need sometime THIS DECADE. And to hell with the added charges!

7. Malik says:

The worst thing known to man. Customer service is absolutely terrible, they’re no help at all. This company needs to be sued and shut down Immediatly. Even there supervisor is terrible they will repeat the same thing over and over again. They say they will do this but just pass you on for the next person problem

• Malik says:

No were not hard to deal with. We’re in college getting a education that were paying for and that crappy higher one plans to ruin it. Your customer service is so bad, of course you’re gonna get furious people

8. Sukimoggy says:

I am a former Customer Care Representative who unfortunately lost my job due to the outsourcing of the call center abroad. Although sad to lose my job last year, I am now much happier working for another company with a customer base that does not hurl abuse at me on a daily basis. Higher One customers were extremely difficult to deal with, and I actually feel sorry for the foreign representatives who not only have to deal with the abuse based on Higher One’s banking practices, but they also have the added problem of language difficulties. Happy to have moved on!

9. Presli says:

DO NOT USE HIGHER ONE! It’s supposed to be a “student account”….well what type of student account charges you for everything ?? $20 EVERYTIME I need a new card? Absurd. They just wanna get all the money they can. There’s only one ATM in my whole city which is on the campus of my school. You have to pay $20 AND THEN wait a whole week & a half for the card to come in the mail. they could atleast expedite them if you’re gonna charge $20 for a new one. I call customer service and I get people from overseas that can’t even speak English. I hate this company & I always take as much as I can out of my account every chance I get so that I won’t have to worry about the bs fees they charge!!

10. I have HigherOne and have had to replace my card 4 times. I always watch out where I spend money with my card. I try not to use my card online. But I need to pay my half of the electric bill and half the cable bill. But that’s all I use it for. If I want to purchase something on line I use another card. I use it for gas also but. I found myself hacked 4 times I fought all 4 times and received my funds back in my account. But students shouldn’t haft to worry about this. We already have enough shit on our plate’s. Our colleges or our governor should find out about all of these cases maybe even a petition so we can get a better more secure debit card. That has less student charges we need new student account cards. I will sign how many others will?

11. Jennifer Schneider says:

I WAS ON THE PHONE WITH HIGHER ONE 4 DIFFERENT TIMES TODAY, AND AM FURIOUS! THE FIRST CALL, THE “RESOLUTION CENTER” TOLD ME THAT I HAD TO CANCEL MY CARD, AT WHICH TIME I TOLD HER THAT I HAD TO PAY MY RENT TODAY, COULD I RUN TO THE ATM AND THEN CANCEL MY CARD DUE TO A FRAUDULENT CHARGE FOR 144.00 THAT IVE NEVER EVEN HEARD OF. SHE ASSURES ME NUMEROUS TIMES I WILL BE ABLE TO ACCESS MY FUNDS AND CANCELS MY CARD. I GO TO THE SITE TO “ACCESS MY FUNDS” AND THE ONLY OPTION IS WIRE TRANSFER. HAVING TO PAY MY RENT I SAY SCREW IT, ILL PAY THE FEE. BUT – NOW AFTER HAVING TO DEAL WITH THEM ALL DAY TRYING TO GET THINGS FIGURED OUT, ITS PASSED 3PM ON A FRIDAY AND IT WONT BE PROCESSED UNTIL MONDAY. AND I AM TO EXPECT A NEW CARD IN 5-7 BUSINESS DAYS.. FUCKERS!!!! IF YOUR ASKED TO SIGN UP FOR ONEACCOUNT… RUN!!!!!! FAST!!!!! THEY ARE THE BIGGEST, LAMEST, NO GOOD MOTHERFUCKERS YOU WILL EVER COME INTO CONTACT WITH. GRRR

12. Jennifer Schneider says:

13. Tiffanie ferndablaq says:

Ach processed on the 11. It’s the 13th and nothing is posted in my bank account. I hate higher one. They wait to the last minute.

14. Karen Rentz says:

HigherOne is the worst! I’m so glad that this is my last semester of school because I’m tired of dealing with their incompetent and poor English speaking representatives as well as their outrageously high fees. They make all of the mega bank corps look like saints!

15. Karen Rentz says:

HigherOne is the worst! I’m so glad that this is my last semester of school because in so tired of dealing with their incompetent, poor English speaking representatives as well as their outrageously high fees. They make all of the mega bank corps look like saints!

16. Alisha says:

IM ABSOLUTELY FED UP WITH HIGHER ONE, I CANNOT GET ANOTHER BANK ACCOUNT DUE TO SOME FRAUDULENT ACTIVITY ON MY CREDIT SO MY IDENTITY CAN NOT BE VALIDATED. TWICE IN ONE MONTH MY CARD HAS BEEN DUPLICATED AND USED AND WIPED OUT. NOW ALL MY MONEY IS GONE AND THEY DONT DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT. THEY ALSO WANT ME TO PAY FOR A REPLACEMENT CARD $20. SOMEONE HAS MY INFO AND DUPLICATED MY CARD BUT “I” HAVE TO PAY THE FEES WTF??? I WANT TO CANCEL MY CARD BUT THEN MY FINANCIAL AID WILL GO WHERE??? THIS SHITTY BUSINESS NEED SOME REAL TLC AND UP THEIR SECURITY SYSTEM A LOT BETTER.

17. marander spencer says:

I’m wondering, did any of you read the information about usage fees and another charges associated with the card before activating? Also, based on the above comments none of you have deal with, the exception of maybe one person, prepaid credit/DEBIT cards. My school gave the option, Higher One card or direct deposit to my personal account, I chose Higher One. Always read the banking institutions fee schedule, they all have them and they all are disgusting to some degree (especially Credit Unions – which I love – when traveling out of state or if your banking institution is not within the area you have traveled). I’ve not had any bad experiences with the customer services so I cannot make any comments there. Sorry for the bad experiences (and no I do not work for them, I’ve just not had the experiences you all have had).

18. Carol Lehrer says:

I agree with all of the above. This is a horrible card to have. I am shocked that the universities offer it. If you don’t confirm that you are still a student every 5 months they charge your account a monthly fee. I am trying to get a refund of 9 months of charges, and it is IMPOSSIBLE. I have called 4 times already, and am on hold again trying to get a dispute created because they refuse to give back the erroneous charges.

19. Danielle Grand says:

DO NOT SIGN UP WITH HIGHER ONE. I wish my school would stop using them. I think it puts a tiny dint in the schools’ credibility. For the most part, banking with them was OK – not too much better or worse than anywhere else in terms of fees, speed of service, etc.; though the online-only thing is a bit of a pain, and not something I would choose to do again.
    BUT… when I had a problem and had to go through customer service… it’s HORRIFIC. I literally don’t even have the energy to tell the tale of what I’ve been through with them the past two days. I have never experienced anything like it. You will potentially sit on the phone for hours, or wait days for confirmation of a resolution via email, for the TINIEST, SIMPLEST thing. All the customer service agents are extremely difficult to understand, and supervisors and management seem just as useless as the associates. They are not remotely personable and the way the system is set up is ridiculous and wastes massive amounts of time. The online customer service section is convoluted and not user friendly.

20. Theresa Dickson says:

I have been trying since November to get a replacement card that HIgher One Cancelled due to some fraud….not one card has made it to me and they keep telling me the same story. They won’t let me transfer money to another account so that I can access it unless I want top pay a $35 wire transfer fee…. This is BS and the worse place I have ever worked with. I will be cancelling my account and I will telling everyone not to go there. Its has been an absolute nightmare!

21. Suzanne Mark says:

This is aggressive marketing to get you in credit card DEBT. I was shocked that it comes with a “This is your official student ID” note. The marketing piece also says, “Activate to get your refund.” That is what tipped me off, I am taking only one class and I am certainly not due any refund. Do not use any card that uses such underhanded marketing to take advantage of the financially naive. No one should ever open a line of credit for you without an application. Bank at a Credit Union and save money.

22. Danielle Shorey says:

I hate higher one with a passion and cannot stand that my school is dealing with them. I have been on the phone with customer service 3 different times today and they did absolutely nothing to help me. This is the worst company I have ever dealt with and do not wish anyone ever has to deal with them.

23. Sophia Aiiiiii says:

You can go on to the higher one website and have your financial aid deposited into a bank account of your choosing. I do not use the higher one card for this reason: it’s a ripoff and takes advantage of young students who do not understand banking as an elder student would. Go to their website and have your refund choice changed to outside bank and get yourself a regular bank account!

24. Akiba Kiiesmira says:

Higher One charged fee of $17.50 for teller withdrawal. To withdraw from ATM the fee is $2.50 Higher One and $2.50 from my credit union.

25. stacy northrop says:

DONT USE HIGHER ONE..THEY WILL NOT DEFENT STUDENTS FUNDS WHEN FILING DISPUTES WITH MERCHANTS!!