Covered California-The New Name of the California Health Benefits Exchange!
By Consumers Union on Friday, November 9th, 2012
Last week, the California Health Benefit Exchange Board chose “Covered California” as the name for California’s new health insurance marketplace created to expand health insurance coverage through the Affordable Care Act. The name and logo are an important step in launching the new marketplace, which will be available to the public for early enrollment in October 2013, with coverage available to almost five million Californians effective January 2014.
The vision of the Covered California is to improve the health of all Californians by assuring access to affordable, high quality care. Covered California seeks to increase the number of insured Californians, improve health care quality, lower costs, and reduce health disparities through an innovative, competitive marketplace that empowers consumers to choose the health plan and providers that give them the best value.
Covered California is guided by the following values:
- Consumer Focused: At the center of Covered California’s efforts are the people it serves, including patients and their families, and small business owners and their employees. Covered California will offer a consumer-friendly experience that is accessible to all Californians, recognizing the diverse cultural, language, economic, educational and health status needs of those we serve.
- Affordability: Covered California will provide affordable health insurance while assuring quality and access.
- Catalyst: Covered California will be a catalyst for change in California’s health care system, using its market role to stimulate new strategies for providing high-quality, affordable health care, promoting prevention and wellness, and reducing health disparities.
- Integrity: Covered California will earn the public’s trust through its commitment to accountability, responsiveness, transparency, speed, agility, reliability, and cooperation.
- Partnership: Covered California welcomes partnerships, and its efforts will be guided by working with consumers, providers, health plans, employers and other purchasers, government partners, and other stakeholders.
- Results: The impact of Covered California will be measured by its contributions to expanding coverage and access, improving health care quality, promoting better health and health equity, and lowering costs for all Californians.
There is still much work to do, but having a name and logo is key to developing an identity Californians can relate to. It is an important step toward making people aware of the transformative improvements to our insurance marketplace on behalf of all California Consumers.