Top 5 Tips To Stop Robocall Tech Scams

Christina Tetreault
Staff Attorney

Tim Marvin
Campaign Manager

Monday, May 4th, 2015

Tip #1: Don’t Give Out Personal Information To Anyone Who Calls You Out Of Nowhere

If a caller directs you to a website to install software that will let him or her access your computer to “fix it,” don’t fall for it! If you do, your computer and your personal information are visible to the scammer and you are vulnerable. If you get a call from someone claiming to be from tech support, your best defense is simply to hang up. Follow these additional tips from the FTC to avoid getting scammed:

TIP 2

Tip #2: Don’t Rely On Caller ID

TIP 3

Tip #3 Don’t purchase Any Software Or Tech Service From Anyone Who Cold Calls You

TIP 4

Tip #4 Don’t Visit Websites Or Download Software At The Direction Of A Caller

TIP 5

Tip #5: DO Report Scams!

EndRobocalls.org is fighting to stop these calls before they reach your phone. Sign the petition demanding carriers to offer free, effective call blocking tools!

18 responses to “Top 5 Tips To Stop Robocall Tech Scams”

1. Larry Gren says:

I used to have a Cancer Foundation call, a lot, I kept saying no. I asked how to sign up for benefits, They stopped calling . Got tired of “Last chance to reduce interest credit card interest rates”. So I punched in and answered ” Sprekken ze Duetch ?” a few times. When they finally said “Nine”, I said “Parley Vou France? “. I only had to do that twice. When they called and said they from Windows and had a fault signal from my computer and I needed to go online so they could fix it, I said ” Sorry, I don’t own a computer”…

2. You should join Nomorobo. Once you have joined Nomorobo monitors your number; identifies robo callers and shuts them down after the first ring. It is a blessing. You can even list numbers with Nomorobo if they somehow sneak by. Now when my phone rings I just wait for the second ring before rushing to answer it. The service is free and effective, I have used it for two years and am extremely happy with the results. All you have to do is go to http://www.Nomorobo.com and sign up.

3. Loraine Warren says:

I get 8-15 calls a day and a lot of times they just let it ring 2-3 times then stop before I can get there. I’m disable and is very hard for me to get around so these calls aren’t helping me when I try to get to them and no one answers or its a scam so stop robo calls please.

4. Ken FOy says:

My cell phone, a Samsung S4, allows you to create a list of numbers that you no longer want to call. There is a built in “Auto Reject” list that you can populate for unwelcome incoming calls. The list can be built according to the following categories compared to the incoming phone number: “Exactly the same as”, “Includes”, Starts with”, “Ends with”. Don’t want any incoming “800” or “1 800” number calls choose “Starts with”. Since I began to make use of this Auto Reject function the number of unwanted ROBO calls to my phone have been significantly reduced. The phone also allows Creating an answering message in addition to those included by the phone manufacturer. I entered my own: If you are calling using an 800 or similar type number hang up. I won’t answer.

• dleany says:

Even better, the Samsung S4 has a “Do Not Disturb” function, meant for blocking calls during meetings, etc. However, it also has the option to allow certain numbers through, (for instance, if your boss calls, you’d probably want to get that call!). You can also add groups, such as your “Favorites” list. I use this as a whitelist for my phone. I always have it on DND, with Favorites allowed through. All my friends and family are on the favorites list, so they always get through; scammers, however, are blocked, without so much as a single peep from my phone. Blocked numbers do show up on the screen as a blocked call, though, so if you receive a call from someone you don’t mind talking to, you can add them to your Faves. I haven’t gotten a single scam call since I did this!

5. William Mason says:

We have an answering machine and Caller ID. So, we only answer calls from people we know [like in our Directory]. However even calls from Verizon usually come-up as Caller Unknown. The follow-up call for the rating Was identified as Verizon.
    We usually get about 3-10 unsolicited calls/day and most commonly at around mealtimes which is Extremely annoying even tho we don’t answer the call.
    Because these dirtbags keep changing their numbers, we’ve given-up on reporting them to the DoNotCall registry, as it’s a waste of time.

6. Steve Guinn says:

As long as you know for certain you are talking to a legitimate organization, it is okay to tell them to remove your number. But be very careful using automated systems when calls come in — or if you call back the number on your CID. The number of scam calls we received went up markedly when I made the mistake of asking to be removed. By doing that, the scammers now know they have a legitimate, active phone number and they use it for other scams and, I’m sure, sell it to anyone who will buy it so they can use it for their scams.
    We recently just had the land line disconnected and now use cell phones exclusively because we were inundated with scam calls and couldn’t take it anymore.

7. Larry Norgaard says:

I have received as many as 48 robo calls a day, frequently more than 30 a day. The phone no. ID is “1” meaning it is computor generated and AT&T can not now block any that do not have 10 digit phone nos. It is a Charity(? so the do not call list does not work).. We never dealt this this charity. Liza Madigan’s office (IL attourny general) advised to answer, and say that you “want them to put you on their internal do not call list”) It is working.

8. Sara Bellam says:

Most phone today have a call block feature. I use it !

• lynn glaser says:

An 83-year-old tenant was just scammed. By phone, someone identified themselves as from Publisher’s Clearing House who told her she had won. Having recently submitted an entry, she was very excited and thought nothing of it when they told her they needed her Social Security Number for verification and her checking account number so they could deposit the funds. She fell for it hook, line and sinker. She was not the least bit suspicious and excitedly told a neighbor when he came over to check on her. He told her to immediately go to the bank to get her money out. At the bank, she called the Social Security Administration to alert them. Her daughter is going to have to take a day off of work to make the hour-long trip to, hopefully, get it resolved. Additionally, we do not even know to whom to report the incident. Any suggestions?

9. winona samuelson says:

I would like to know how they can call us and it comes up on the caller ID that the call is from our number. How can they do this? How can we get Medicom to help us block calls?

10. Michael O'Kelly says:

PLEASE PUT A STOP TO THESE ROBO CALLS

11. Please use this advice. I had a scam done like this the very same way, except the person claimed that he was from the MICROSOFT CORPORATION, I quickly found out that he was not from Microsoft Corporation. So, please be aware of scams.

• Timothy says:

When these India scammers call me about about my computer being infected I just interrupt them and say.”No, my computer is not infected. I work for Microsoft Security Team and I now have your I.P. address, please stay on the line sir.” They can’t hang up fast enough.. You can use whocallsus.net to see who the caller was if it is left on your caller I.D.

12. David Peterson says:

Buy a call blocker. Amazon sells one for less than $50. If anyone decides to talk to you (most do not), you can block them from getting through again.

13. Anthony Petrello says:

Over 90 useless calls that just ring once, no one is there…this is just since Feb 1st