Surprise Medical Bills
One way in which out-of-control health care costs manifests itself is surprise out-of-network bills. New York State took this issue head on, passing strong legislation in the country that aims to protect consumers from these surprise bills. Join the conversation on twitter using #SurpriseBills.
RECENT EVENT: Webinar for Lawmakers and State Insurance Regulators on New York’s Victory of Surprise Out-of-Network Bills (PDF of Slides)
LEGISLATIVE Resources: New York’s New Law
- Governor Cuomo 2014-2015 Executive Budget, Governor Andrew M. Cuomo, and Robert L. Megna, Director of Budget, January 2014,
- Summary of Consumer Protection Provisions in Bill
- Full text of bill – Potential model for other states
- New York Case Study: Protecting Consumers from Surprise Out-of-Network Bills
- An Unwelcome Surprise: How New Yorkers Are Getting Stuck with Unexpected Medical Bills from Out-of-Network Providers, New York State Department of Financial Services, March 7, 2012. This report kicked of the discussion of the issue in the state.
- Memorandum in Support Out of Network Legislation (TED Article VII, § U) issued by New Yorkers for Accessible Health Coverage, January 28, 2013.
- Press Statement on Out-of-Network Coverage, New Yorkers for Accessible Health Coverage, January 27, 2014.
- Sign on Letter Urging the State Legislature to Adopt the Out-of-Network Provisions in the Governor’s 2014-2014 Executive Budget, February 24, 2014.
- Press Conference featuring Claudia Knafo, February 27, 2014.
- New Yorkers Speak Out About Surprise Medical Bills: Consumer Stories About Medical Bill Shock, Consumers Union, March 24, 2014.
- Stop Surprise Medical Bills! – advocacy website
- Consumers Union Action Alert Email
- Elisabeth Benjamin, “Consumer Statement on Out-of-Network Billing Health Insurance Legislation.”
- Community Health Advocates
- Fair Health Consumer - Resource for claims data
- Press Release, Governor Cuomo Announces Department of Financial Services Investigation into Out-of-Network Medical Costs Affecting New Yorkers Across the State, March 7, 2012
- Roni Caryn Rabin, “Out-of-Network Bills for In-Network Health Care”, The New York Times, November 19, 2012
- Rick Karlin, “Cuomo seeks ‘surprise billing’ Rx”, timesunion.com, June 10, 2013
- Tara Siegel Bernard, “Out of Network, Not by Choice, and Facing Huge Health Bills”, The New York Times, October 18, 2013
- “Editorial: Pass law to stop surprise medical bills”, Newsday, February 13, 2014.
- Press Release, Superintendent Lawsky Sends Letter to Legislature Urging Passage of Legislation in State Budget to Protect Consumers From Surprise, Out-of-Network Medical Bills, March, 24, 2014
- Hartocolis, Anemona. “New York Curbs Medical Bills Containing Surprises”. The New York Times. March 30, 2014
- Blair Horner, A Budget Issue Worth Fighting For, WAMC Northeast Public Radio, March 3, 2014
- “Cuomo proposing out-of-network health coverage”, Associated Press for The Wall Street Journal, February 27, 2014.
- Charles Bell, OpEd, “New York needs law to prevent ‘surprise’ medical bills”, lohud: The Journal News, March 24, 2014.
- Catherina Yang, “NY Grants Consumers Landmark Protection From Surprise Medical Bills”,Epoch Times, March 31, 2014.
- Matthew L. McKibben, “Cuomo administration pushes for out-of-network billing protection”, The Legislative Gazette, March 25, 2014.
- Caroline Chen, “Surprise Medical Bills Lead to Protection Laws: Health”, Bloomberg News, April 4, 2014,
- Chris Cardish, “New York’s Patient Protections May Be National Model”, Governing: The States and Localities April 15, 2014