Rising healthcare costs are a critical policy issue: governments make tradeoffs to pay for Medicare and Medicaid, employers limit salary increases to pay for health coverage, and families across the country make tough choices every day about getting the care they need. Consumers Union is working to produce clear, consumer-friendly resources, advise advocates on addressing healthcare cost issues, and promote dialogue on how to achieve solutions that reduce costs without compromising quality or access to care.
Resources for Advocates
- Healthcare Value Hub — a Networking and Resource Center for Advocates Working for Better Value in Healthcare. The Hub supports and connect consumer advocates across the U.S., arm them with comprehensive fact-based information, and help them advocate for change.
- Surprise Medical Bills Resources: Learn about the issue and how advocates are addressing this gap in consumer protection.
- Check out our report summarizing the November 11-12 healthcare cost conference in New Orleans. Sponsored by Consumers Union and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, this meeting sought to bridge the gap between researchers, policymakers and consumers. Attended by approximately 60 consumer advocates, the meeting explored the key drivers of rising healthcare costs and the evidence for and against proposed solutions.
- Healthcare Cost Forum – an email discussion group just for advocates. This forum is intended to be a safe space for frank, productive discussion among consumer advocates. Membership is restricted to consumer advocates with a strong interest in working on healthcare costs and value. To join: please use this link.
- New Report: Enhance your ability to engage consumers on healthcare cost and value issues by reading our new report examining consumers attitudes and perceptions. View the infographics we developed to help inform consumers.